Planning a renovation to your unit or strata property?


If you’re planning to undertake any work on your unit or strata property that will change its structure, there are certain rules that you must follow to stay within the law.

The main responsibility is to notify your owners corporation, giving at least 14 days’ notice before commencing the work. If the work extends to below the floor, above the ceiling or beyond the external walls, balcony or windows of the lot, then the work is impacting the common property and you will need written consent from the owners corporation.

An internal wall that is not shown on the strata plan (even if it’s load bearing) is not deemed to form a part of the common property but Section 116 of The Strata Schemes Management Act still requires you to notify the owners corporation. It is reasonable to seek an engineer’s certificate showing how the roof or floor slab above will be structurally supported after the wall is removed.

Of course, some works may also require development consent from the local council so always seek advice.

Acknowledgements: Allison Benson, Kerin Benson Lawyers and GK Strata Management with respect to blog posts

Share This:

Comments ( 0 )

    Leave A Comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *